Thursday, March 5, 2015

Is your Next Step a Certificate in Transportation and Logistics?

by Ron Shamlaty, UNFCE Instructor 
Our US supply chains have been predominantly domestic in nature and we as a country have fallen far behind Europe's and Asia’s international commerce.   We must kick it into gear to stay competitive.  Whether we like it or not our world is now global and US manufacturers must begin to think globally or they will lose out to international competition.  If one stays focused on just the North American market, they will produce product and sell it to a mere 5% of the world’s population.  If they focus on the international  markets, as an example, they can build and sell to the other 95% of the world’s population.  

Oh by the way, the middle class in those countries is growing tremendously.   Take China for example,  Just a mere 5 years ago the average wage for its workers was 96 cents per hour.  Today those same worker are at $4.09 per hour.   Their infrastructure outside of the major cities was non-existent.  Today they have major highways and their government has spent billions on infrastructure.  If you just focused on Asia you could sell to 60% of the world’s population.  Guess what?  These consumers have more spending power, better infrastructure, and they want the same things you and I enjoy here in the United States.


Then there is the United States, the world largest consuming country in the world.  As it is said, ”We like our stuff."  As the international  economies becomes more industrialized, and more and more countries figure out how to make product and ship those products to the US, we will take advantage of all of that by continuing our growing appetite for more and more stuff.  The foreign countries will continue to grow their economies and their middle class through international trade.

Industry Outlook
  • 143,000 jobs in the field of logistics projected this year for Florida
  • The CTL designation is the globally recognized credential
  • A Certification in Transportation & Logistics can be achieved in six months or less
  • Local, national and global opportunities
  • Great opportunities for advancement
  • Build on current skills
  • Fill an industry gap

About UNF Continuing Education's CTL Program:
The CTL Cohort class on Logistics is a great “Take the Next Step” opportunity. The CTL course is a six month commitment of three days a month.  You will go through five modules of college text and be taught by practitioners of the logistics industry.  As they would tell you, ”we will teach the information within the text books and then we will tell you what really happens”.   This is a cohort program so you will meet with the same class of students throughout the course and will have breakout sessions with assigned group members.  The sixth module requires you to write a paper of 3000 to 5000 words about any aspect of logistics or international supply chains. We promise you will find the subject fascinating and the instructors will keep you engaged. The next cohort begins on April 10, 2015.

The Certification of Logistics (CTL) offered through UNF’s will help open this new world to you.  They will help you prepare for the massive imports we have begun to receive and they can help you prepare to sell your products globally.  You will be taken through domestic transportation, mmanaging the supply chain, International logistics, and finally strategy to help make it all work for you

Want to know more? 
Come and learn about the world of global supply chains at a Free Information Session to be held at the Adam W. Herbert University Center on March 12, 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. Reserve your spot online or by phone at (904) 620-4200.


About Ron

Ronald Shamlaty is director of logistics and supply chain, Division of Continuing Education, University of North Florida (UNF), based in Jacksonville, FL. In 2007, Ron formed R&B Business Services in conjunction with his partner Brett Harper.  In April 2009, R&B formed an alliance with UNF to develop and expand the university's Continuing Education logistics training program.Ron has more than 40 years of logistics, sales, marketing, and training experience.