Thursday, August 20, 2015

Get to Know: Jessica Fields. The newest member of our Customer Care Team!


Jessica, could you share some background information of your professional career?
Before starting at UNF, I worked in the legal field as a legal assistant and legal administrator, most recently in a firm that handled disability cases. I have a bachelor’s degree in International Relations (minored in Economics) from Florida International University in Miami and I am currently a student here at UNF in the Masters of Public Administration program. I’ve just started my 2nd year in the MPA program, and I should be graduating in August 2016. My ultimate career goal after graduation is to be in a management position within a public organization.

Why did you want to work at UNF Continuing Education?
I was very excited about working for UNF Continuing Education because it’s an awesome opportunity to gain valuable working experience for my MPA. The Continuing Education department here at UNF is a great place to learn about the State University System in Florida. Also, I love being able to provide a service for our community. Continuing Education is such a wonderful service to provide for the community, from the test prep for younger students all the way to the OLLI program for seniors, and everything in between. It feels great to be part of a team that makes such a positive difference in peoples’ lives!

How would you describe your role at UNF Continuing Education?
I am part of the Customer Care Team here in the Continuing Education department. My primary role is to provide customer service to our current and future students, including answering any questions they may have and helping them with course registration. I also work on specific projects within the department as needed. I’m here to help out with anything that someone in our department may need!

Anything else you want us to share about you?
I enjoy being involved in the community, so I do a lot of volunteer work. Most of my volunteer work involves cultural events in and around the urban core area of Jacksonville. I am now in my second year as a member of the board of directors for GastroJax, Inc., a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that seeks to raise awareness about our local food shed and culinary scene. We are primarily known as the organizers of GastroFest 2015, a local food festival that was held in Hemming Park this past March. We are now hard at work organizing GastroFest 2016, as well as other events that will educate the community about local food!